Coconut milk, derived from coconut meat, makes an excellent substitute for cow's milk. An essential ingredient in many Indian and Thai dishes, coconut milk has risen in popularity and usage in the U.S. The increased demand for coconut milk and a devastating harvest has made coconut milk an expensive and rare find in some Western countries. Fortunately, coconut milk is very easy to make at home. Here's how it's done.
1. Pour 2 cups of coconut ﬂakes into a blender.
2. Pour 4 cups of boiling water into the blender.
3. Cover blender and mix for 2 - 3 minutes.
4. Take a big round bowl and place several layers of cheese cloth over it. You can also use a nut milk bag or fine mesh sieve..
5. Pour the milk from the blender over the chees cloth (bag or mesh sieve) and press out as much liquid as possible.
6. The resulting liquid is coconut milk and can be used for drinking or used in recipes. Store in the refrigerator or freeze. This will keep for about 2 - 3 days.
Back to How to Section